Historic Markers Across Florida



The Bellamy Road



Marker ID: FLHM F-398
Location: on State Road 100 in Clay County, Florida.
County: Clay
Coordinates: N 29° 44.756    W 081° 59.011
  29.74593333    -81.98351666
Style: Free Standing **
Waymark: WM4W5K
 



Text:

The Bellamy Road


The Old Bellamy Road intersects Highway 100 near this point. In 1824, the First session of the 18th United States Congress appropriated $20,000.00 to develop a public road in the Territory of Florida between Pensacola and St. Augustine. It was to follow as nearly as possible on the pre-existing Old Mission Trail.

The St. Augustine to Tallahassee segment was contracted to John Bellamy. He completed this in 1826, using Native American guides and his own slaves. Remnants of the old sand road are used today and part of the Bellamy Road forms the county line between northwest Putnam and southwest Clay County.

1998 by The Clay County Historical Commission,
and Florida Department of State.



Notes:

City: Green Cove Springs, FL