Historic Markers Across Florida



Bellamy Road



Marker ID: FLHM F-399
Location: on US 17 at the Bellamy Road, 6.
County: Clay
Coordinates: N 29° 55.487    W 081° 41.098
  29.92478333    -81.68496666
Style: Free Standing **
Waymark: None
 



Text:

The Old Bellamy Road intersects Highway 17 near this point. In 1824, the First session of the 18th United States Congress appropriated $20,000.00 to develop a public road in the Territory of Florida between Pensacola and St. Augustine. It was to follow as nearly as possible on the pre-existing Old Mission Trail. The St. Augustine to Tallahassee segment was contracted to John Bellamy. He completed this in 1826, using Native American guides and his own slaves. Remnants of the old sand road are used today and part of the Bellamy Road forms the county line between northwest Putnam and Southwest Clay County.

Sponsors: Clay County Historical Commission and the Florida Department of State


Notes:

City: Green Cove Springs, FL