Historic Markers Across Florida



Fort St. Francis de Pupa



Marker ID: FLHM F-480
Location: This marker was destroyed and was replaced.
County: Clay
Coordinates: N 29° 58.696    W 081° 37.758
  29.97826666    -81.6293
Style: Free Standing **
Waymark: None
 



Text:

The site was used as a ferry landing late in the 17th century. About 1716 the first fort was built by the Spanish. It was rebuilt and enlarged early in 1739. The following year the fort was captured by English and Indian forces led by James Oglethorpe, founder of the Georgia colony. On their withdrawal, later in the summer, they destroyed the fort and it was never rebuilt.


Notes:

City: Green Cove Springs, FL