Historic Markers Across Florida



Camp Chowenwaw



Marker ID: FLHM F-874
Location: off Ball Rd in Camp Chowenwaw Park, Green Cove Springs, FL
County: Clay
Coordinates: N 30° 02.382    W 081° 42.787
  30.0397    -81.71311666
Style: Free Standing **
Waymark: WMTEZ5
 



Text:

Camp Chowenwaw


Created in 1932, Camp Chowenwaw (Cho’-wen-waw) derived its name from the Creek word for “sister.” Prominent Jacksonville resident Nancy Osborne, with support from local organizations such as the Rotary and Kiwanis clubs, led the effort for the Girl Scout Council of Duval County to purchase a 67-acre parcel at the mouth of Black Creek for $250. This newly acquired land served as the camp’s grounds. Federal help to build camp structures came from the Reconstruction Finance Corporation during the Great Depression. One of the biggest jobs was the exterior and interior construction of the Big Cabin, including shingles and furniture, from timber harvested on-site. Swedish granite, originally used as ballast in 19th century sailing ships, was donated by G.W. Parkhill and used to construct the cabin’s fireplaces. The camp expanded in 1951 by adding another 40 acres. For over 70 years, Camp Chowenwaw enriched the lives of young women by providing them a place to master new skills and talents as Girl Scouts. The camp remains an important part of Clay County history and serves as a county park offering recreational activities in a preserved natural environment.





F-874 The Clay County Historic Preservation Board,
The Clay County Board of County Commissioners,
and the Florida Department of State
2015