Historic Markers Across Florida



St. Margaret's Episcopal Church and Cemetery



Marker ID: FLHM F-928
Location: 6874 Old Church Road, Fleming Island, FL
County: Clay
Coordinates: N 30° 4.032    W 081° 41.78
  30.0672    -81.69633333
Style: Free Standing **
Waymark: None
 



Text:

St. Margaret's Episcopal Church and Cemetery


Hibernia Plantation was founded in 1790 by Irish immigrant George Fleming on a 1,000-acre grant from the Governor of Spanish East Florida. George died in 1821 and his son Lewis inherited Hibernia. Lewis had three children by his first wife. After she died, in 1837 he married Margaret Seton of Fernandina and had seven more children. After the Civil War, the widowed Margaret converted the damaged plantation house into a tourist resort. Church services were held in the mansion’s parlor, while she planned the construction of a chapel. She began building it in 1875 in coordination with Episcopal Bishop John F. Young. The church was named in honor of Saint Margaret of Scotland. The first service, held on April 6, 1878, was for Margaret’s funeral. The chapel was relocated to this location in 1880. The wooden Gothic Vernacular church has a memorial window depicting Margaret Fleming teaching children. The cemetery contains graves of the Fleming family, including George; Lewis; Margaret; their son Francis P. Fleming, Florida Governor (1889-1893); and veterans from the Second Seminole and Civil wars. The church and cemetery were listed on the National Register of Historic Places in 1973.






F-928 A Florida Heritage Site
Sponsored by Clay County Historic Preservation Board,
The Clay County Board of County Commissioners’
And the Florida Department of State
2016