Historic Markers Across Florida



Old Collier County Courthouse



Marker ID:  
Location: 102 Copeland Ave North, Everglades City, FL
County: Collier
Coordinates: N 25° 51.472    W 081° 23.061
  25.85786666    -81.38435
Style: Free Standing **
Waymark: None
 



Text:

This building was completed in 1928 to be the first seat of government for Collier County which was founded in 1923 by entrepreneur and landowner Barron Gift Collier. The Town of Everglades was also headquarters for the building of the Tamiami Trail through the swamp.

In 1953, the town was incorporated as Everglades City. In 1962, the county seat moved to Naples and the building became Everglades City Hall.

In 2005, it was damaged by Hurricane Wilma and has since been completely restored by Mayor Sammy Hamilton, Jr.

Erected 2003 by Everglades Society for Historic Preservation.