Historic Markers Across Florida



Tin City



Marker ID:  
Location: 1200 5th Ave S, Naples, FL
County: Collier
Coordinates: N 26° 8.452    W 081° 47.415
  26.14086666    -81.79025
Style: Free Standing **
Waymark: None
 



Text:

Tin City
City of Naples Diamond Jubilee
— 1923-1998 —


Tin City's legacy began in the 1920's when Henry Espenlaub, brother-in-law of Ed Frank (Swamp Buggy Creator), leased his property to pioneering commercial fishing families. They constructed docks and tin roofed buildings to serve fishing fleets and clam and oyster processing plant. Its strategic positioning near the Tamiami Trail (est. 1928,) and the Naples Depot (est. 1927) made it one of the City’s first economic centers and attractions. In 1977 Kenney Schryver led the initiative to transport the property into a themed shopping area.

Sponsored by: Mike and Kathy Peppe and Lois A. Bolin, Ph.D.