Historic Markers Across Florida



Old Laundry Building - Everglades Women's Club



Marker ID: FLHM F-269
Location: Everglades Women's Club Clubhouse
County: Collier
Coordinates: N 25° 51.440    W 081° 23.153
  25.85733333    -81.38588333
Style: Free Standing **
Waymark: WM4NAB
 



Text:

The first permanent white settlers arrived in this region in the late 19th century. A community dependent on hunting, fishing and farming soon emerged. The land upon which Everglades City now stands was acquired in 1921-22 by Barron Collier, a wealthy advertising man. In 1923 Collier County was formed with the Town of Everglades as county seat. A planned town, it was built on filled land at Collier´s direction, service facilities were provided, and by 1928 this building had been completed as a community laundry. That year also marked the opening of the Tamiami Trail from Tampa to Miami and completion of the Atlantic Coast Line Railroad into Everglades. After a prosperous beginning, the town suffered economically during the depression and World War II. The Town of Everglades was changed by charter into Everglades City in 1953, and the community moved away from its "company town" origins. This structure ceased to function as a laundry after WWII but remained Collier-owned until 1963. In that year the Everglades Women´s Club, founded in 1928 but later disbanded, was reactivated and in 1965 purchased the building for use as a clubhouse. The structure retains the typical appearance of the company town period.

Sponsored by Everglades Women´s Club in cooperation with Department of State - 1976


Notes:

City: Everglades City