Historic Markers Across Florida



Alligator



Marker ID: FLHM F-68
Location: City Park on Marion Street.
County: Columbia
Coordinates: N 30° 11.401    W 082° 38.220
  30.19001666    -82.637
Style: Free Standing **
Waymark: WM30KW
 



Text:

Originally called Alpata Telophka, or Alligator Town, this site was a Seminole village, ruled by the powerful chief Alligator, an instigator of the Dade Massacre, which began the great Seminole War of 1835. Following the cessation of hostilities, a white settlement sprang up on the site of the old Seminole village and became known simply as Alligator. Prior to the War Between the States, the name was changed to Lake City.

Florida Board of Parks and Historic Memorials - 1961


Notes:

City: Lake City, FL