Historic Markers Across Florida



"CCC Boy" Statue



Marker ID:  
Location: near the suspension bridge (off US 441/41), High Springs, FL
County: Columbia
Coordinates: N 29° 54.861    W 082° 34.829
  29.91435    -82.58048333
Style: Mounted **
Waymark: WMHQMT
 



Text:

This "CCC Boy" Statue
was erected by
Chapter 143, NACCCA,
Gainsville, Florida
In 2007. Chapter 143 was organized by
CCC veterans of the area on
October 1, 1988.

This statue was donated to Chapter 143 and O'Leno State Park by George and Peggy Lecouris of Tarpon Springs, Florida. George joined the CCC in 1934 and served in Co. 1439, Camp F-9, Vilas, Florida, in the Apalchicola National Forest.

This statue is dedicated to the 50,000 Florida "CCC Boys" who replanted 90,000 acres on private land and in Florida State Forests; also replanted and developed thousands of acres in three Florida National Forests. They also built eight flagship State Parks, including O'Leno, and completed hundreds of other conservation, environmental and public recreation projects from April 7, 1933 to June 30, 1942.

The Civilian Conservation Corps combined two
great national resources ---youth and land---
in a program designed by
President Franklin D. Roosevelt
to save both.

It succeeded.