Historic Markers Across Florida



Fort Ogden



Marker ID: FLHM F-256
Location: U.S. 17 in front of Post Office
County: Desoto
Coordinates: N 27° 04.919    W 081° 57.398
  27.08198333    -81.95663333
Style: Free Standing **
Waymark: WM5DAY
 



Text:

Fort Ogden



As white settlers moved into Florida, demands increased for the removal of the Seminole Indians to a western reservation. The Seminoles failed to cooperate, and in 1835 the conflict known as the Second Seminole War began. By 1841, the Indians were still entrenched in central and south Florida. Campaign plans for that year aimed at clearing Indians from the area between the Withlacoochee River and the frontier and then attacking Indian bands in Big Cypress Swamp. To sustain the wide-ranging troops, detached camps were established at various points. Camp Ogden, named for Captain Edmund Ogden of the 8th U.S. Infantry, seems to have been established in July, 1841, as an advanced position for the Big Cypress campaign. In addition, 55 canoes were constructed for the next winter´s Everglades expedition. Before the camp was abandoned in the fall, an influential Indian leader, Coacoochee, visited Camp Ogden. The community of Fort Ogden developed in this citrus and cattle region in the last part of the 19th century and took its name from the Second Seminole War camp. Fort Ogden´s post office, established in 1876, is the oldest in DeSoto County to be in continuous service.





F-256 Sponsored by Fort Ogden Civic Club
in cooperation with Department of State
1976



Notes:

City: Fort Ogden, FL More Information:
Wikipedia - Seminole Wars
Florida Center for Instructional Technology - Seminole Wars

More information:
Wikipedia - Seminole Wars