Historic Markers Across Florida



Owens Community School



Marker ID: FLHM F-525
Location: 5586 SW Owens School Road, Arcadia, FL
County: DeSoto
Coordinates: N 27° 10.819    W 081° 56.031
  27.18031666    -81.93385
Style: Free Standing **
Waymark: WMPZQW
 



Text:

Owens Community School



The Owens Community School was built 1916-1918 in the once thriving community of Owens. The community and school were named for Owen H. Dishong (1850-1902), the first sheriff of DeSoto County, serving 1887 to 1893 and 1897 to 1901. He was a charter member of the first church and donated land for the first schoolhouse. The community was situated between the Peace River and Horse Creek. It flourished through the mining of pebble phosphate. The community consisted of a post office, general store, railroad, citrus packing house, Owens Community School, and Mt. Ephraim Baptist Church. The frame school is the only remaining building of the original structures of Owens. It was last used as a school site in 1946, but some original school furnishings remain intact. It has continued to be used as a polling place over the years. In 2000, the School District of DeSoto County refurbished the school and began using it for school district training and recognitions, and historical society and humanities presentations.





F-525 Sponsored by School District of De Soto County
and the Florida Department of State
2004



Notes:

City: Arcadia, FL