Historic Markers Across Florida



Florida Baptist Orphanage



Marker ID: FLHM F-685
Location: W. Winifred St and N. Arcadia Ave., Arcadia, FL
County: DeSoto
Coordinates: N 27° 13.460    W 081° 51.554
  27.22433333    -81.85923333
Style: Free Standing **
Waymark: WMW7NG
 



Text:

Florida Baptist Orphanage



The Florida Baptist Children’s Homes, originally the Florida Baptist Orphanage, was established by the Florida Baptist State Convention in 1902 and started admitting children in 1904. The purpose was to care for orphans until they reached 18 years of age or were adopted into a Christian home. John L. Jones of Desoto County donated 80 acres of land on which the orphanage was founded. B.M. Bean was the first superintendent serving from 1904-1911. Juanita Martinez was the first child to live at the home. Her stay at the home started on February 1, 1904. J.E. Trice served as superintendent from 1911 to 1932. The name was changed to the Florida Baptist Children’s Homes in 1925. T.M. Johns served as superintendent from 1932 to 1969. The Children’s Homes moved to Lakeland in 1948. Presidents of the Children’s Homes included Roger Dorsett (1969-1974), Walter Delamarter (1974-1984), Richard Phillips (1984-1994), Charles Hodges (1994-2002), Jimmy McAdams (2002-2007), and Jerry Haag (2007-). In 2008 the Children’s Homes served 5,183 children and families with its various services which included residential care, emergency shelter care, foster care, adoption care, maternity care and counseling.





F-685 Sponsored by The Nazarene Church,
and the Florida Department of State
2009



Notes:

City: Arcadia, FL