Historic Markers Across Florida



Old Town School



Marker ID: FLHM 
Location: SE County Road 349, and Saint Co. Rd. 55A Dixie County Cultural Center
County: Dixie
Coordinates: N 29° 35.438    W 082° 58.870
  29.59063333    -82.98116666
Waymark: None
 



Text:

On April 1, 1899, Orren Y. Felton and his wife, Lillie F. Felton, gave deed to the Board of Public Instruction for Old Town School. On May 23, 1911, Ruby E. Chaires and her husband McQueen Chaires gave additional deed to the Board of Public Instruction for School. The present two story, four-classroom building was constructed in 1909—two classrooms upstairs and two downstairs. From home schooling to one-room schoolhouses to neighborhood schools, the schools of the Old Town era were built. The auditorium was added in 1930. Children continually attended classes in this building until 1999. This historic, two and one-half story building was constructed of locally made bricks which were “fired” on site. All rafters are of the exposed “Italian eight design.” The top half floor contains a two-louver door dormer. The dormer and high windows were the only means of ventilation. The Dixie County Historical Society uses this building, now known as the Dixie County Cultural Center, as an office, museum of local artifacts, and library.

Sponsors: Dixie County Historical Society and the Florida Department of State


Notes:

City: Old Town, FL