Historic Markers Across Florida



Fletcher Community



Marker ID: FLHM F-535
Location: Highway 349, north of Pine Crest Dr, Old Town, FL
County: Dixie
Coordinates: N 29° 44.216    W 082° 59.088
  29.73693333    -82.9848
Style: Free Standing **
Waymark: WMHRZE
 



Text:

The Fletcher Community was established when Dixie County was part of Lafayette County and both were part of their parent county, Madison. In the early 1850s Fletcher families and other families emigrated south from the Carolinas through Georgia, bringing their livestock and looking for better pastures. Other families followed including the Edmond, Bell, Boatright, Gronto, Hatch, Matthis, Jones, Sauls and Ward families. They used the Suwannee River to move cotton and farm produce by steamboats to the railroad at Cedar Key. Most settlers of the Methodist faith attended services at Pleasant Grove Church, established by Rev. John A. Fletcher (1811-1858). This church is now gone but the Pleasant Grove and Ward Cemeteries are reminders of the Fletcher Communitys settlers. William Rete Fletcher served as Madison Countys Justice of the Peace 1847-1849 and Clark of Court of Lafayette County 1856-1858. U.S. Postal records show Matilda J. Jones Fletcher as the communitys first Postmaster. Eborn Haywood Sauls, William R. Fletcher, and Mittie (Matilda) Fletcher were later Postmasters.

Sponsors: Dixie County Historical Society, Dixie County Board of County Commissioners and the Florida Department of State


Notes:

City: Old Town, FL