Historic Markers Across Florida



Triumph the Church and the Kingdom of God in Christ



Marker ID: FLHM F-580
Location: 166 NE 106 Street, Cross City, FL
County: Dixie
Coordinates: N 29° 38.277    W 083° 07.707
  29.63795    -83.12845
Style: Free Standing **
Waymark: WMHRZH
 



Text:

Triumph the Church
and the Kingdom of God in Christ


This church, built in 1929, was originally a wood-framed structure and the first church erected in the African-American community of Cross City. The architectural character was retained when it was remodeled and enlarged in 1942. The hand-made masonry blocks were fashioned under the direction of Prince Robert C. Glanton (1892-1965). He was the church´s Shepherd and presiding elder until he was promoted to District Bishop in 1957. Cross City´s first voter registration for blacks was held in this church. The church is part of a national system of churches founded in 1902 by Father Elias Dempsey Smith and is represented in 36 of the United States and Monrovia, Liberia. It was chartered in Washington, D.C. in 1918, and is in the hall of records. In addition to worship and praise services, the church provides charity, summer enrichment classes, youth development training, and many other activities that enhance the spiritual, physical, and moral development of the community.





F-580 Sponsored by the Triumph the Church
and the Kingdom of God in Christ
and the Florida Department of State
2006



Notes:

City: Cross City, FL