Historic Markers Across Florida



Duval County's First Court



Marker ID: FLHM F-150
Location: Bay Street and Liberty St in Jacksonville, FL
County: Duval
Coordinates: N 30° 19.502    W 081° 39.182
  30.32503333    -81.65303333
Style: Free Standing **
Waymark: WMQP0K
 



Text:

Duval County's
First Court


Duval County, established August 12, 1822, and named for William Pope DuVal, Florida's first civil governor, held its first court on December 1, 1823. Some 200 settlers gathered at the corner of Market and Forsyth Sts. to watch the session presided over by Judge Joseph Lee Smith. Construction of the first court house began two years later on the northeast corner of this intersection.





F-150 Jacksonville Historical Society,
Florida Historical Society,
Florida Board of Parks and Historic Memorials
1967



Notes:

City: Jacksonville, FL