Historic Markers Across Florida



Historic King's Road British East Florida



Marker ID:  
Location: by the Friendship Fountain, Main St S at Riverplace Blvd, Jacksonville, Florida.
County: Duval
Coordinates: N 30° 19.220    W 081° 39.608
  30.32033333    -81.66013333
Style: Free Standing **
Waymark: WM3DFR
 



Text:

The King´s Road, built by the British prior to the American Revolution, began at the St. Mary´s River, passed through Cowford (Jacksonville), crossed the St. John´s River, it is believed, at present day Liberty Street, approximately one mile east of this marker, and continued south to New Smyrna.

During the Revolution, American troops used this route to make attacks on British forces. The most notable of these engagements was at Alligator Creek Bridge, 30 June 1778. Following this battle the invasion of Florida by American troops ceased.

Florida State Society - Daughters of the American Revolution - Anne White Stewart, State Regent 1995-1997 - November 11, 1996


Notes:

City: Jacksonville, FL