Historic Markers Across Florida



St. George Episcopal Church



Marker ID: FLHM F-544
Location: on Fort George Road, Ft. George Island
County: Duval
Coordinates: N 30° 24.81    W 081° 25.76
  30.4135    -81.42933333
Style: Free Standing **
Waymark: None
 



Text:

St. George Episcopal Church, designed by Robert S. Schuyler and built in 1882, is a fine example of Carpenter Gothic, one of the most distinctive varieties of church architecture. Such churches were promoted by Floridas second bishop, John Freeman Young (1820-1885) just after the Civil War. Bishop Young divided north Florida into regions defined by major water bodies. These churches along the St. Johns River included St. George Episcopal Church on Ft. George Island. Using local materials and craftsmen, Carpenter Gothic became the preferred form of church construction from 1867 to 1924. Gothic architectural characteristics are defined by: a steep gable roof, a narrow rectangular building shape, pointed lancet windows and a bell tower. New York architect R. Dennis Chantrell (1783-1872) best described this type of church as a handsome church, which is a kind of standing sermo

n.Sponsors: the St. George Episcopal Church and the Florida Department of State


Notes:

City: Ft. George Island, FL