Historic Markers Across Florida



Villa Alexandria



Marker ID: FLHM F-777
Location: In the median of River Rd at Arbor Ln, Jacksonville, FL
County: Duval
Coordinates: N 30° 18.039    W 081° 39.302
  30.30065    -81.65503333
Style: Free Standing **
Waymark: WMNTN1
 



Text:

Villa Alexandria


Villa Alexandria, built in the 1870s as the winter home of Alexander and Martha Mitchell of Milwaukee, Wisconsin, once stood near here. Martha Mitchell's brother, Harrison Reed, served as Florida Governor from 1868-73 and lived nearby on the south bank of the St. Johns River. While visiting him, Mrs. Mitchell became enthralled with this setting and purchased 140 acres that became known as Villa Alexandria. During the late 19th century, Villa Alexandria was “the show place of the environs of Jacksonville." Harriet Beecher Stowe, also a winter resident, described its large frame house as an "Italian Swiss Villa." The grounds featured carriageways, extensive vegetation, a boathouse, orange groves, a swimming pool, fountains, pools and artificial streams. Mrs. Mitchell was one of the three founders of the Mount Vernon Ladies Association of the Union, which helped to preserve George Washington's home. In Jacksonville, she helped to establish St. Luke's Hospital Association, which she served as president for 25 years, and All Saints Episcopal Church. She died in 1902 and is buried in St. Nicholas Cemetery. Villa Alexandria was demolished around 1925 to make way for the San Marco subdivision.






F-777 The San Marco Preservation Society
and the Florida Department of State
2013



Notes:

Erected in 2013