Historic Markers Across Florida



Old Philips Congregational Church



Marker ID:  
Location: 3349 St Augustine Road, Jacksonville, FL
County: Duval
Coordinates: N 30° 17.524    W 081° 38.634
  30.29206666    -81.6439
Style: Free Standing **
Waymark: None
 



Text:

Constructed in c.1887, the Old Philips Congregational Church is one of the few remaining structures dating from the old Philips Community. Later erased by twentieth century sub-divisions, this rural 19th century community was named after Albert Gallatin Philips, owner of nearby Red Bank Plantation. Although the actual construction date is not known, it appears that the current building, based on its "Carpenter Gothic" style and materials, was constructed soon after the Philips Congregational Society acquired the property in June of 1886. Through the joint efforts of District Council members, Matt Carlucci, and Reggie Fullwood, the City of Jacksonville in 2001 purchased this historic church to house the United Community of Outreach Ministries (UCOM).

Erected by City of Jacksonville Florida.