Historic Markers Across Florida



Riverside Avondale Historic District



Marker ID:  
Location: at the intersection of Edgewood Ave and Ola St., Jacksonville, FL
County: Duval
Coordinates: N 30° 18.438    W 081° 42.753
  30.3073    -81.71255
Style: Mounted **
Waymark: WMJJVN
 



Text:

"Magnolia Plantation" and "Dell's Bluff," plantations assembled from two early 19th century Spanish land grants, formed the core of the combined neighborhoods of Riverside and Avondale. Platted in 1869, Riverside was incorporated into Jacksonville's city limits in 1887, and its growth boomed in the aftermath of the city's Great Fire of 1901. Avondale was established in 1920 as an elite residential community adjoining Riverside, and it continued to develop throughout the 1930s. The Riverside Avondale neighborhood contains the greatest variety of early 20th century architectural styles in Florida, including an impressive collection of Prairie School buildings. Riverside and Avondale are listed in the National Register of Historic Places, and the Riverside Avondale Historic District was designated by the City of Jacksonville in 1998.

City of Jacksonville