Historic Markers Across Florida



The Coleman House



Marker ID:  
Location: Center Street South in Baldwin, FL
County: Duval
Coordinates: N 30° 18.112    W 081° 58.542
  30.30186666    -81.9757
Style: Mounted **
Waymark: WMRTNA
 



Text:

Beach Dedication


Sara Gleason, Belle G. Dimick Reese and Ella M. Dimick Potter dedicated this beach to the public in 1899. In 1895 Sarah Gleason and her husband’s business partner, W.H. Hunt, sold a parcel of land containing the beach area to William S. Linton for about $10.00 an acre except for a small portion then occupied by the Orange Grove House of Refuge (see marker north of Atlantic Avenue). A mortgage from William Linton, U.S. Congressman from Michigan who was promoting a town here called Linton, secured $3,000 of the purchase price. At the end of 1895, civil engineer E. Burslem Thomson drew a plat describing the Town of Linton. The plat, filed by William Linton and the Model Land Company during 1896, contained the first dedication for public use of what is now this mile-long municipal beach. When William Linton defaulted, the mortgage was foreclosed, half to Sara Gleason and half to the heirs of W.H. Hunt, his granddaughters Belle Reese and Ella Potter. These three women filed a replat dedicating the area east of the ocean beach lots and “Ocean Road" to the public in 1899.

Delray Beach Historical Society and the Robert Neff Family