Historic Markers Across Florida



First Public School Building



Marker ID:  
Location: on north side of Wright Street between Guillemarde and Tarragona Streets, Pensacola
County: Escambia
Coordinates:   
Waymark: None
 



Text:

This was the site of Public School No.1, the first building erected for a public school in 1875, occupied until Jan. 1887 when a new NO.1 at Palafox & Jackson Sts. opened. W.E. Anderson was School Board President. Here also Mrs. Anna R. Thompson, (1854- 1938, a graduate Cincinnati Kindergarten Training 1886) operated a Kindergarten and School (Sept. 1888-May 1901).

Erected by the Pensacola Woman´s Club


Notes:

City: Pensacola, FL