Historic Markers Across Florida



Fort Barrancas



Marker ID:  
Location: At Pensacola Naval Air Station.
County: Escambia
Coordinates:   
Waymark: None
 



Text:

Built on the site of the former Spanish stockade, Castillo de San Carlos. Construction on Ft. Barrancas began in 1839 and ended in 1844. This fort was part of the coastal defense system designed to protect the New Pensacola Navy Yard from enemy attack. The Confederates held the Fort from Jan. 1861 to May, 1862. When they abandoned it, leaving it for the union troops. The fort and surrounding area later became headquarters for the 13th Coastal Artillery Corps. The National Park Service acquired Ft. Barrancas and Bateria de San Antonio from the U.S. Navy as part of Gulf Islands National Seashore in Dec. 1972.

`


Notes:

City: Pensacola, FL