Historic Markers Across Florida



Trader Jon's



Marker ID: FLHM F-334
Location: South Palafox and Main Street
County: Escambia
Coordinates: N 30° 24.43    W 087° 12.848
  30.40716666    -87.21413333
Style: Free Standing **
Waymark: None
 



Text:

This building was erected in 1896 and rented to numerous businesses until the 1950s. One of the most significant tenants in the early 1900s was Samuel Charles, one of Pensacola's most prominent black businessmen, whose shoe repair shop became Pensacola's largest shoe repair and sales store at that time. In the 1920s the building was occupied by Birgar Testman's ship chandlery. Since the early 1950s the building has been owned and occupied by Trader Jon's, a favorite haunt of U.S. Navy and other military personnel. The tavern has gained international fame for its unusual and extensive display of military memorabilia which surrounds the clientele.

Erected 1991 by the Historic Pensacola Preservation Board in cooperation with the Florida Department of State.



Notes:

City: Pensacola, FL