Historic Markers Across Florida



Christ Church



Marker ID:  
Location: 405 South Adams Street, Pensacola, FL
County: Escambia
Coordinates: N 30° 24.551    W 087° 12.615
  30.40918333    -87.21025
Style: Carved Stone **
Waymark: None
 



Text:

From 1763-1783 the Bishop of London licensed priests to administer here.

The Parish was organized in 1827.

Chartered by Florida's Territorial Council in 1829.

The Rev. Addison Searle was the first rector.

During the rectorships of the Rev. Benjamin Hutchins and of the Rev. Ashbel Steele this church was built being completed in 1832.

The Rt. Rev. Jackson Kemper D.D. made the first episcopal visitation in 1838 and consecrated the church to the worship of God according to the Anglican Rite.