Historic Markers Across Florida



Colonial Archaeological Trail-Historic Pensacola Village



Marker ID:  
Location: in Plaza Ferdinand in downtown Pensacola, FL
County: Escambia
Coordinates: N 30° 24.515    W 087° 12.811
  30.40858333    -87.21351666
Style: Free Standing **
Waymark: WMPZ8J
 



Text:

Three separate plaques

Colonial Pensacola-Archaeology brings History to Life
From 1754 until 1821, a succession of Spanish and British forts were constructed in this area of Pensacola. You are standing at the west end of the forts. They extended nearly 200 yards eastward. The Spanish, then the British, and again the Spanish occupied these lands and built forts. This Colonial Archaeological Trail interprets these forts. In addition, it includes the site where Andrew Jackson first officially raised the American flag over Florida.

This project is jointly presented by the University of West Florida, the City of Pensacola, and the State of Florida Department of State, Division of Historical Resources.


Officers' Room Foundation
The British occupied Pensacola between 1763 and 1781. During this time they improved and expanded the previously existing Spanish fort. This brick foundation, constructed in classic English bond (alternating rows of stretchers and headers), was part of the 32' x 32' Officers' Room building where daily fort business was conducted close to the western gate.


Cross-section of West Wall
This is a replica of the portion of an archaeological trench excavated in Plaza Ferdinand. Remnants of a wall, moat and pickets from the 1778 British Fort of Pensacola were found in this trench. The wall, into which posts had been vertically set, is a dark rectangular stain. The moat, about 15' long and 5' wide, was in front of the wall and was filled in after a short period of use. Short pointed posts were placed in the defunct moat. A wall dating to 1767 is faintly visible. Eventually the remnants of the fort were covered with 2' of dirt during the construction of Plaza Ferdinand.

University of West Florida, the City of Pensacola,
and the State of Florida Department of State, Division of Historical Resources.



Notes:

Three separate plaques