Historic Markers Across Florida



When the River was King!



Marker ID: FLHM F-121
Location: end of Avenue D near Water Street Docks.
County: Franklin
Coordinates: N 29° 43.707    W 084° 58.997
  29.72845    -84.98328333
Style: Free Standing **
Waymark: WM7BAB
 



Text:

When the River Was King!


(side 1)
History records the first shipment of cotton to leave this Port, arrived New York, 1822. Beginning 1836, forty-three, three-storied brick, Cotton Warehouses and Brokerages lined Apalachicola's water front. Their granite-columned facades caused Apalachicola to be known as "The City of Granite Fronts." Cotton receipts were over 55,000 bales per year.

By 1840, 130,000 bales of cotton annually left this Port. Foreign and coastwise shipments amounted to between $6,000,000.00 and $8,000,000.00 yearly. Corresponding amounts of merchandise were received for transportation into the interior. Apalachicola was the third largest Cotton Port in the United States.


(side 2)
The Apalachicola Board of Trade, 1860, in a resounding memorial to Congress, stated:

"We are the great depot of the State. We do more business than each and every portion of the State put together. This year we have done $14,000,000.00 worth of business."

In that year $13,000.00 was refused for a Water Street lot.

Between 1828 and 1928 two hundred and four "Sidewheelers" and "Sternwheelers"- Queens of the River, plied this waterway.

Long Live The Apalachicola!






F-121 Florida Board of Parks and Historic Memorials
In Cooperation With The City of Apalachicola.
1964



Notes:

City: Apalachicola, FL