Historic Markers Across Florida



Fort Gadsden



Marker ID: FLHM F-159
Location: Fort Gadsden State Historic Site
County: Franklin
Coordinates: N 29° 56.408    W 085° 00.690
  29.94013333    -85.0115
Style: Free Standing **
Waymark: WM8HQM
 



Text:

Fort Gadsden


(Side 1)
Built in 1814 by Lieutenant Colonel Edward Nichols, His Majesty's Marines, as a rallying point to encourage the Seminole Indians to ally themselves with England against the United States in the War of 1812. Abandoned after 1814 [the date is wrong, should be 1815], it was occupied by a band of free Negroes, and was known by 1816 as "The Negro Fort." Its location in Spanish Florida did not deter Major General Andrew Jackson from ordering its elimination as a threat to American commerce on the Apalachicola River.

(Side 2)On July 27, 1816, Lieutenant Colonel Douglas L. Clinch, with U.S. forces and 150 Creek Indians, fired on the fort and destroyed it with a “hot shot” cannon ball which exploded in the powder magazine killing all but 30 of 300 occupants. In 1818 General Jackson directed Lieutenant James Gadsden to build “Fort Gadsden” here, in spite of Spanish protests. Confederate troops occupied the fort until July 1863, when malaria forced its abandonment.





F-159 Sponsored by Florida Board of Parks and Natural Resources. 1968



Notes:

City: Sumatra, FL