Historic Markers Across Florida



The Raney House



Marker ID: FLHM F-270
Location: on Ave. F at Market Street.
County: Franklin
Coordinates: N 29° 43.693    W 084° 59.126
  29.72821666    -84.98543333
Style: Free Standing **
Waymark: WM5JYZ
 



Text:

During the 1830´s, when the cotton port of Apalachicola was rapidly expanding, David G. Raney built a rather plain, Federal style house at this site. Around 1850, a two-story portico and other features of the then popular Greek Revival architectural style were added to that structure. Raney, a native of Virginia, was a prosperous merchant who was prominent in many of the town´s civic affairs. His eight children grew up in this home. A son, George Pettus Raney (born in 1845), served in the Confederate Army and then returned to Apalachicola to practice law until his election to the Florida Legislature in 1868. Later, George P. Raney served two Florida governors as Attorney General before becoming first a justice of the Florida Supreme Court and then its Chief Justice, a position he resigned in 1894. He practiced law until his death in 1911. Legend related that ladies of Apalachicola met in the Raney House at the beginning of the Civil War to sew a battle flag for local Confederate troops. Legend also says that Franklin County troops were mustered out of service at the Raney House when the war ended. The Raney House in listed on the National Register of Historic Places.

Sponsors: sponsored by the Apalachicola Historic Board in cooperation with Department of State - 1976


Notes:

City: Apalachicola, FL