Historic Markers Across Florida



World War II D-Day Training Site



Marker ID: FLHM F-427
Location: Carrabelle Beach & Dog Island
County: Franklin
Coordinates: N 29° 49.765    W 084° 41.537
  29.82941666    -84.69228333
Style: Free Standing **
Waymark: WM5HBT
 



Text:

In late 1943, Carrabelle Beach and Dog Island, while they were a part of Camp Gordon Johnston, were used by the U.S. Army 4th Infantry Division to train for the Normandy Invasion on D-Day, June 6th, 1944. The Amphibious Training Center had been officially closed, but it was reopened and staffed for the purpose of training for this important mission. Although the troops had trained for over three years, the amphibious training conducted on this site was the last step before shipping out to England for the invasion. On D-Day, the first amphibian infantry assault teams to arrive on French soil were from the 4th Infantry Division at Utah Beach. On June 6, 2000, the Camp Gordon Johnston Association extracted a small amount of soil from this site and delivered it to the National 4th Infantry Division Association to be placed in the Association´s monument in Arlington, VA. The U.S. Department of Defense´s World War II Commemoration Committee in 1995 named the Camp Gordon Johnston Association an official “Commemorative Community.”

Sponsors: Camp Gordon Johnston Association and the Florida Department of State


Notes:

City: Carrabelle, FL
Camp Gordon Johnston
Camp Gordon Johnston - History