Historic Markers Across Florida



Site of First Gadsden County Courthouse



Marker ID: FLHM F-199
Location: U. S. 90 at Camilla St. on grounds of Talquin Elec
County: Gadsden
Coordinates: N 30° 35.150    W 084° 35.857
  30.58583333    -84.59761666
Style: Free Standing **
Waymark: WM77X4
 



Text:

This antebellum home is related in style to the early Louisiana plantation houses of the lower Mississippi Valley. Designed to cope with the heat and dampness of the climate, its main living quarters were on the second floor. It rests on land once owned by Robert Forbes, first Gadsden County sheriff, whose house served as a county courthouse in the early 1820´s. Later in the nineteenth century, the property passed into the hands of Hector and William Bruce, grandnephews of Forbes. In 1956, it was purchased by the Quincy Garden Club, and in 1972 was acquired by Talquin Electric Cooperative, Inc. who undertook complete restoration.

Sponsors: Sponsored by Talquin Electric Cooperative, Inc. In Cooperation With Department of State - 1972


Notes:

City: Quincy, FL