Historic Markers Across Florida



Old Philadelphia Presbyterian Church



Marker ID: FLHM F-284
Location: approx 4 miles North of Quincy on CR-272
County: Gadsden
Coordinates: N 30° 38.569    W 084° 34.520
  30.64281666    -84.57533333
Style: Free Standing **
Waymark: WM78CF
 



Text:

Presbyterians came to this area from Georgia and the Carolinas as early as 1822. These worshippers built Philadelphia, a log meeting house, in 1828. It was served by itinerant ministers until 1832, when the Reverend Leander Kerr arrived. The log structure was replaced in 1859 by the present building, Gadsden County´s oldest remaining meeting house. Philadelphia served until 1912 as a house of worship, a place of education, and a center of community life. Many Presbyterian churches in Florida and southern Georgia trace their origins to Philadelphia.

Sponsors: sponsored by old Philadelphia Endowment Association in cooperation with Department of State - 1978


Notes:

City: Quincy, FL