Historic Markers Across Florida



Dr. Malcolm Nicholson Home



Marker ID: FLHM F-306
Location: on SR 12, 7.4 miles Northwest of SR 65 between Qui
County: Gadsden
Coordinates: N 30° 36.494    W 084° 28.234
  30.60823333    -84.47056666
Style: Free Standing **
Waymark: WM8A5T
 



Text:

Located just north of this point is the Dr. Malcolm Nicholson Plantation Home. Built in the 1820´s, it is one of the oldest remaining structures in Gadsden County. It is a one-story Gulf coast Cottage, with end-gables and a built-in porch. It rests on brick piers and has a "dog-trot" floor plan in which a covered passage joins two parts of the house. Nicholson was born in the Carolinas in 1790. He moved to Georgia and then to North Florida where, like many frontier practitioners he combined his activities as a physician and planter. He was one of the commissioners who chose Quincy as the county seat of Gadsden County, and a member of the group which selected the site for the Capitol in Tallahassee. Dr. Nicholson was appointed by the citizens of Gadsden County in 1836 to petition the President of the United States for protection against Creek and Seminole raids on the Florida frontier. He was a stockholder in the Union Bank and served that institution as an appraiser. Dr. Nicholson died in 1840 and is buried in the Nicholson Family Cemetery near here.

Sponsors: sponsored by dr. Malcolm Nicholson descendents in cooperation with Department of State


Notes:

City: Quincy, FL