Historic Markers Across Florida



St. Pauls Episcopal Church



Marker ID: FLHM F322
Location: on N. Adams St. S.R. 267
County: Gadsden
Coordinates: N 30° 35.474    W 084° 34.640
  30.59123333    -84.57733333
Style: Free Standing **
Waymark: WM77BC
 



Text:

The earliest Episcopal Services were performed in Quincy in 1834 and Jackson Kemper was the first bishop to visit in 1838. St. Paul´s Parish was organized and the first Vestry was elected in the same year. In 1839, the parish joined the Diocese of Florida and was incorporated by act of the Florida Territorial Legislature on February 28, 1839. The first church was erected on this site in 1839 and was consecrated on February 21, 1841, by James H. Otey, Bishop of Tennessee. The present structure is the second church building. It was erected in 1892, enlarged in 1914, remodeled in 1928, and enlarged again with a cloister and parish hall in 1951. The St. Paul´s Episcopal Church is the oldest church in continuous use in the City of Quincy.

Sponsors: sponsored by st. Paul´s Episcopal Church in cooperation with the Florida Department of State - 1989


Notes:

City: Quincy, FL