Historic Markers Across Florida



Apalachicola Arsenal-Officer's Quarters and Guard Room



Marker ID: FLHM F-810
Location: Holly Dr, Chattahoochee, FL
County: Gadsden
Coordinates: N 30° 42.390    W 084° 50.312
  30.7065    -84.83853333
Style: Free Standing **
Waymark: WMNXPA
 



Text:

Apalachicola Arsenal-Officer's Quarters and Guard Room


The Apalachicola Arsenal, originally known as the Mt. Vernon Arsenal, was built by the United States Army and served as an arms depot during the Second Seminole War. Construction began in 1832, and was completed in 1839. The original compound consisted of nine buildings in a 400 ft. x 400 ft. quadrangle behind a 12-foot-high, 30-inch-thick perimeter wall, plus other outbuildings. The U.S. Army maintained the arsenal until 1861, when it was taken over by Confederate troops. Following the Civil War, the arsenal was used by the Freedman's Bureau until 1868, and then as the state's first penitentiary. In 1876, it became the first mental hospital in Florida.

This structure incorporates three of the arsenal's original buildings: an office, guard room, and officer's quarters. It later served as the hospital administrator's residence. The building features a two-story gallery ornamented by decorative brackets. Although portions of the gallery have been enclosed, the building retains much of its imposing historic appearance. Segments of the original perimeter wall are visible at both ends of this building.






F-810
Sponsored by The Florida State Hospital, the Department of Children and Families
and the Florida Department of State
2014