Historic Markers Across Florida



Fort Crevecoeur / Fort Crevecoeur Abandoned



Marker ID: FLHM F-115
Location: on U. S. 98 at Columbus St., Mexico Beach, FL
County: Gulf
Coordinates: N 29° 54.786    W 085° 22.572
  29.9131    -85.3762
Waymark: None
 



Text:

Fort Crévecoeur



In 1717, on this site, the French began erecting Fort Crevecoeur within Spanish domain. On February 8, 1718, Jean-Baptiste Lemoyne de Bienville, acting Governor of Louisiana, dispatched his brother, Lemoyne de Chateague, to complete this Fort. By May 12, the French occupied St. Joseph´s Bay. Chateague reported to Bienville completion, on the mainland, opposite St. Joseph Point, the stockaded Fort Crevecoeur with four bastions and garrisoned. Simultaneously Juan Pedro Matamoros de Ysla, Governor of Spanish Florida, at Pensacola, indignantly protested this usurpation as St. Joseph´s Bay belonged to Spain by earlier discovery and previous settlement.

Fort Crévecoeur Abandoned


The French Colonial Council, with unanimous decision decided to burn Fort Crévecoeur and abandon St. Joseph's Bay. On August 20, Spanish Captain, Joseph Primo De Rivera, reported to the Spanish Governorship, at St. Augustine, the French had retired from their invasion. Whereupon Rivera was ordered to command St. Joseph's Bay. By March 10, 1719, Don Gregorio de Salinas Varona had been transferred to the Spanish Governorship of St. Joseph's Bay.






F-115 Florida Board of Historic of Parks and Historic Memorials
In Cooperation with The Gulf County Historical Commission
1964








F-115 Florida Board of Historic of Parks and Historic Memorials
In Cooperation With The Gulf County Historical Commission
1964



Notes:

City: St. Joseph Beach, FL