Historic Markers Across Florida



Wewahitchka Centennial



Marker ID:  
Location: in front of the old Gulf County Courthouse on N 2nd St between Lake Ave and Court Ave, Wewahitchka, FL.
County: Gulf
Coordinates: N 30° 06.911    W 085° 11.924
  30.11518333    -85.19873333
Style: Free Standing **
Waymark: WM7HFJ
 



Text:

Wewahitchka Centennial
--1875 – 1975 --



(side 1)

Fort Place, or Richard's Fort, five miles south, erected in the early 1800's is considered as the forerunner of Wewahitchka. People lived in the area earlier. Wewahitchka (Indian name for water eyes), first permanent settlement in now Gulf County, was named by Rev. John W. Richards in 1875 upon completion of the log church and school built to serve approximately 25 families. Citrus groves, apiaries, livestock and timber supported the early settlers. First paper was the Calhoun Times in 1883.


(side 2)
Some of these early families were the Richards, Keyes, McDaniel, Stone, Strange, Maddox, Bell, Burgess, Mitchell, and Smith. The early 1880's saw a rapid growth of the community. Wewahitchka became famous for the excellent fishing and hunting in the Dead Lakes, streams and forest. Steamboats plying the nearby Apalachicola River added to the economy. When Gulf County was carved out of Calhoun County in 1925, Wewahitchka became the first county seat and remained so for 40 years.

Erected 1975 by The Gulf County Golden Anniversary Commission and the
St. Joseph Historical Society.



Notes:

City: Wewahitchka, FL