Historic Markers Across Florida



Gulf County Old Court House



Marker ID:  
Location: in front of the old Gulf County Courthouse on N 2nd St between Lake Ave and Court Ave, Wewahitchka, FL.
County: Gulf
Coordinates: N 30° 06.908    W 085° 11.924
  30.11513333    -85.19873333
Style: Free Standing **
Waymark: WM7HFD
 



Text:

Gulf County
Old Court House



The South Portion of Calhoun County was cut out in 1925 to form Gulf County. Wewahitchka was chosen as the county seat. The first county business was transacted in a local business house until this court house was built in 1927, and served until the county seat moved to Port St. Joe in 1965. The first county commissioners were J.J. McDaniel, Chairman, H.E. Wish, S.F. VanHorn, A.D. Lawson, G.A. Patton and W.L. Mowbray. The first county judge was E.C. Lewis.


Erected 1975 by The Gulf County Golden Anniversary Commission and the
St. Joseph Historical Society.



Notes:

City: Wewahitchka, FL