Historic Markers Across Florida



White Springs



Marker ID: FLHM F-24
Location: U.S. 41 between Kendrick & Wesson Streets. In 2002 moved to a spot near South Hamilton Elementary, 16693 Spring St. The marker is situated near a water tower which is near the school.
County: Hamilton
Coordinates: N 30° 19.784    W 082° 45.371
  30.329667    -82.756183
Style: Free Standing **
Waymark: WM4MXE
 



Text:

War between the States and many planters brought their families and slaves here for safety. These sulphur springs were thought to have medicinal properties and were considered sacred by the Indians. Warriors wounded in battle reputedly were not attacked when they came here to recuperate. Settlers moved into the vicinity in 1826 and the springs became an antebellum resort noted for natural beauty and good cuisine. The village was a refuge during the War Between the States and many planters brought their families and slaves here for safety. Florida Board of Parks and Historic Memorials 1961

Florida Board of Parks and Historic Memorials - 1961


Notes:

City: White Springs, FL
Wikipedia - White Springs, Florida