Historic Markers Across Florida



Site of Fort Hartsuff



Marker ID: FLHM 
Location: Hardee County Road 35A on Old Dixie Highway, between Wauchula & Zolpho Springs
County: Hardee
Coordinates: N 27° 31.627    W 081° 49.062
  27.52711666    -81.8177
Style: Free Standing **
Waymark: WMWBTV
 



Text:

Site of Fort Hartsuff
Established August 8, 1856


Named in honor of Lt. George C. Hartsuff 2nd Artillery, U.S.A., whose detachment of men were ambushed in the Big Cypress Swamp, December 20, 1855, by the Seminole Indians killing several men and wounding many others.

Fort Hartsuff was a community fort used as a refuge for settlers during the Indian uprisings of 1856-1858.

The fort was garrisoned by U.S. Regular troops and the Florida Mounted Volunteers.

Erected 1978 by Peace River Valley Historical Society..



Notes:

Site of Fort Hartsuff
Established August 8, 1856


Named in honor of Lt. George C. Hartsuff 2nd Artillery, U.S.A., whose detachment of men were ambushed in the Big Cypress Swamp, December 20, 1855, by the Seminole Indians killing several men and wounding many others.

Fort Hartsuff was a community fort used as a refuge for settlers during the Indian uprisings of 1856-1858.

The fort was garrisoned by U.S. Regular troops and the Florida Mounted Volunteers.

Erected 1978 by Peace River Valley Historical Society.