Historic Markers Across Florida



Spring Lake Community Center



Marker ID:  
Location: On Spring Lake Hwy (541) south of Old Spring Lake Rd, Spring Lake, FL‎
County: Hernando
Coordinates: N 28° 29.552    W 082° 18.171
  28.49253333    -82.30285
Style: Free Standing **
Waymark: WMK761
 



Text:

1938
Spring Lake Community Center


This building was constructed by the Works Progress Administration (W.P.A.) in 1938. It was originally proposed to be a building that could be used as a polling place on election days and as a community recreation hall.

The School Board saw the project as an opportunity to rectify certain deficiencies of the Spring Lake School, constructed in 1919, which had no kitchen, lunchroom, or library. Thus it became an undertaking to serve the school as well as the community.

The building is constructed with rock mined from local quarries and timber harvested from local forests. The labor force was from the Spring Lake community.
Through the years the building has served as the hub of the community, hosting several boy scout troops, a weekly quilting club, a monthly dinner group, and many social and civic events.

The property was listed in the National register of Historic Places by the United States Department of the Interior on October 20, 2009.
University of Florida Historic St. Augustine, Inc.