Historic Markers Across Florida



Saint Stanislaus Chapel-Establshed 1915



Marker ID:  
Location: CR 491(Citrus Way) north of Brooksville Rd, Brooksville, FL
County: Hernando
Coordinates: N 28° 37.817    W 082° 26.819
  28.63028333    -82.44698333
Style: Mounted **
Waymark: WMQNWV
 



Text:

Saint Stanislaus Chapel
Established 1915


The first St. Stanislaus Church was built here in 1915 by a small group of Polish farmers who had purchased land in this area of Hernando County in an effort to begin a new community. Priests from St. Leo Abbey would come out once a month to celebrate mass and the other sacraments. After a fire destroyed the first church in 1929, the community quickly built the present structure. The onslaught of the Great Depression along with poor soil and disease forced the settlement to be disbanded. This simple “Old Florida" clapboard style church dedicated to the patron saint of Poland gives silent witness to the faith of those early pioneers, many of whom are buried in the adjoining cemetery. Mass is still celebrated here annually on All Souls Day.

Diocese of St. Petersburg