Historic Markers Across Florida



Masaryktown



Marker ID: FLHM F-426
Location: On Broad Street (US 41) at Wilson Blvd., Masaryktown, FL.
County: Hernando
Coordinates: N 28° 26.498    W 082° 27.437
  28.44163333    -82.45728333
Style: Free Standing **
Waymark: WM3TN7
 



Text:

In 1924-26, a group of Slovak and Czech immigrants moved down from New York and Pennsylvania to establish a farming community in Florida, and bought about 10,000 acres in Hernando County. They founded a town here, which they named after Thomas G Masaryk (1850-1937), "founding father" and first president of the independent republic of Czechoslovakia, formed in 1918 with the help of U.S. President Woodrow Wilson. They named the town´s streets for American presidents and for Slovak and Czech patriots and writers who contributed to the independence movement. Initial attempts at growing citrus and vegetables failed, but eventually a thriving egg poultry farming community developed. Slovak cultural traditions were maintained for more than one half century. The building on this sit was erected in 1925 as the "Masaryk Hotel" for initial housing of newly arrived settlers, and retained that name until 1997.

Sponsored by: Masaryktown Board of Directors and the Florida Department of State - 2000


Notes:

City: Masaryktown, FL.