Historic Markers Across Florida



Richloam General Store and Post Office



Marker ID: FLHM F-994
Location: on Richloam-Clay Sink Rd south of FL 50, Richloam, FL
County: Hernando
Coordinates: N 28° 30.090    W 082° 06.796
  28.5015    -82.11326666
Style: Free Standing **
Waymark: WMYK56
 



Text:

Richloam General Store and Post Office


In 1921, the Atlantic Coast Line Railroad (ACL) decided to relocate its depot in Riverland to Richloam. Soon after, in 1922, Postmaster Lucius Sidney "Sid” Brinson moved the Riverland Post Office to the growing community of Richloam and opened a general store. The 1920s were a chaotic time in Richloam. In 1926, Pasco County Deputy Sheriff William O''Berry was shot and killed east of the store while attempting to arrest Charles Davis, a worker at the local turpentine still, over the theft of a dog. In January 1928, the store was robbed and burnt, likely from arson, but was rebuilt soon after in February of that same year. The store and post office continued to operate until the late 1930s, when the Great Depression forced the ACL to close the depot. In 1936, Brinson closed the store and post office and relocated to Sarasota. He rented the building as a residence to the Mills family until the 1950s. After sitting vacant until 1973, Brinson''s nephew, John Brinson, acquired the property. John Brinson''s son, Eric Burkes renovated the general store and reopened it in 2016. This general store was listed on the National Register of Historic Places in 2017, and is the only remaining building from the Richloam community.





F-994 A Florida Heritage Site
Sponsored by Eric and Donna Burkes
and the Florida Department of State
2018