Historic Markers Across Florida



Tampa Bay Hotel



Marker ID: FLHM F-31
Location: West Kennedy Boulevard, University of Tampa Campus
County: Hillsborough
Coordinates: N 27° 56.802    W 082° 27.814
  27.9467    -82.46356666
Style: Free Standing **
Waymark: WM5WH6
 



Text:

Tampa Bay Hotel



Henry B. Plant built this ornate Moorish structure at a cost of $3 million. Opened in 1891, it became the social and cultural center of early Tampa. During the Spanish American War it was headquarters for troops going to Cuba and house such visitors as Col. Theodore Roosevelt, Clara Barton, Richard Harding Davis and Gen. Nelson Miles. Purchased by the City of Tampa in 1905, it has served as the main building of the University of Tampa since 1933.






F-31 Sponsored by the Florida Board of Parks and Historic Memorials 1961



Notes:

City: Tampa, FL
Wikipedia - Henry B. Plant Museum