Historic Markers Across Florida



Brandon Family Cemetery



Marker ID:  
Location: Small cemetery off of Rte. 60 (Brandon Blvd.)
County: Hillsborough
Coordinates: N 27° 56.166    W 082° 16.540
  27.9361    -82.27566666
Style: Free Standing **
Waymark: WM24HB
 



Text:

The earliest marked grave, dated 1857, was that of Susan Carson, mother of Martha Carson Brandon. Traveling by wagon train, John Brandon, his wife Martha (cousin of Kit Carson) and six sons left Mississippi and arrived at Fort Brooke (Tampa) in 1857. John acquired land in what now is Brandon. They worked the land until tragedy struck when John´s beloved Martha died in 1867. John moved away and in 1868 married Victoria Varn, a widow with two children.
In 1874 they moved back to New Hope (Brandon) and established their homestead. John helped start the first school, donated land for a church and the New Hope Cemetery. John Brandon died in 1886 and was buried in this cemetery. The Brandon name is carried on proudly by the descendents of John, many of whom reside locally.

The Brandon Family - 1990