Historic Markers Across Florida



Celi's Expedition and Survey of the Hillsborough River April 24-27, 1757



Marker ID: FLHM 
Location: behind Curtis Hixon Hall on River Walk, downtown Tampa
County: Hillsborough
Coordinates:   
Waymark: None
 



Text:

Don Francisco Maria Celi, Pilot of the Spanish Royal Fleet, and crew, entered the river, naming it Rio de San Julian y Arriaga. They halted at "El Salto" - The Waterfall in the Hillsborough State Park. Near the present dam they erected a cross in a pine forest, their "El Pinal de la Cruz de Santa Teresa." This is the earliest known recorded exploration of this historic river.

Sponsors: Florida Board of Parks and Historic Memorials In Cooperation With Hillsborough County Historical Commission


Notes:

City: Tampa, FL