Historic Markers Across Florida



1851-1891 - Tampa



Marker ID:  
Location: Kennedy Blvd. and Morgan St.
County: Hillsborough
Coordinates: N 27° 56.922    W 082° 27.322
  27.9487    -82.45536666
Style: Free Standing **
Waymark: WM5J0D
 



Text:

Site of Tampa´s First Church Building and first frame ecclesiastical House of Worship erected in the area of all South Florida. Built by the Methodist congregation under the superintendence of Rev. L. G. Lesley.
General T.J. "Stonewall" Jackson contributed $5 in gold to its building fund; and General O.O. Howard, head of the Freedmen´s Bureau, Founder of Howard College, Washington, D.C. was converted therein.
The Hillsborough County Historical Commission - 1964


Notes:

City: Tampa, FL